Monday, December 25, 2006

R.I.P. - James Brown, The Godfather of Soul

In 1973, When I was about 13, I got Ktel's 20 Electric Hits and 'Sex Machine Pt. I' was on the record. I hated it, having no musical taste at all beyond 4/4 rock; Bachman-Turner Overdrive's 'Taking care of Business' was my favorite tune on the album.

I was lucky enough to see James Brown perform twice, once about 15 years ago in Montreal, and two years ago at an outdoor venue in Toronto - an abbreviated gig, James did all the right things, but for less time than one would have liked, but worth it, if for nothing else than the earnest Torontonian standing nearby who kept telling his friends how great the "grandfather of soul" was. JB will always be living in America. Check out any one of these Vids and tell me I'm wrong.

No comments: