Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Some Marketers are as insecure as a Dorky Kid at a High School Dance

I am 100% certain that about 18 months ago there was a big marketing conference somewhere.

And at that conference, there was a high-powered Zig Ziglar-type motivational speaker, except maybe without the dubious background.

And this presenter said to the assembled masses, verily ‘We missed out on MySpace. We missed out on Facebook. Look at the hundreds of millions of eyeballs we could have been displaying to. Miss yea not The Twitter’.

And he saw that it was good.

And after the conference, and the inspirational speech every marketer in the world trundled back to their office and opened up a Twitter account. And began thinking in 140 character blocks. Longer than usual, yes, but extend the message they did.

And so what do we have today? I just got an email from one of the gazillion hotel points programmes I am signed up for. And this particular hotel, the second this week if memory serves, exhorted me to ‘Follow us on twitter’ and ‘Find us on Facebook’.

Really? What in the world does a hotel chain have to tell me by Twitter?

If you care to find out, (I promise you I don’t) you can check it out and report back.

My eyes are burning! I just peeked, and they have someone just a tad too enthusiastic writing their prose. And almost 3,000 followers.

Twits, the lot of them.

No comments: